Fathers of a certain age

Most of my friends are, like me — about 50-ish, a little extra weight around their mid-section and, at least for the men, balding. Their Big Life Story involves graduating their last kid through college and thinking about how to re-decorate that now-spare bedroom into a rarely-to-be-used-again den. Good for them. But no, not me. No,…
Read more

Blast-Radius Moment

“You’ve got 12 minutes.” That’s what one warning on the Hawaiian news agency stated. 12 minutes before the bomb was to hit, 12 minutes to live. What do you do? If there’s ever a statement that’d rip the cover off of life’s baseball, that one would do it. Pretty raw, right? 12 minutes. What if…
Read more

Your best self

“I’m dying.” Shocking piece of rhetoric, this. Well, okay. Just to set the record straight, I, personally, am not dying. But those were the interrupt-my-day words I serendipitously stumbled upon in, of all places, the liquor store. They were spoken by a man with inoperable, stage 3 pancreatic cancer. He was buying booze for his…
Read more

C’est la vie, 2016

So another year’s in the books. C’est la vie, 2016, you piece of crap, you. Right? Maybe things went well for you personally; maybe they didn’t. Things sure as hell didn’t go well for, oh, about about one-third of all celebrities alive on January 1, 2016. Oh, wait, what’s that? Another one just slipped earth’s…
Read more

Political Orphans

I get you. I get you precisely because I am you. You and I, we’re in this vast electoral wasteland together. A barren, unknown, unwanted place. No place to call home. No voting soul. And, it sucks. We’re pissed, too, ‘cuz we’re good citizens, right? We pay our taxes. We color inside the lines. We…
Read more

50 shades of memories

Fifty. Half a hundred. Wow. Isn’t 50-years-old within the chronological blast radius of Betty White, Richie Cunningham’s dad and, oh, I don’t know — dirt itself? Fifty seemed grand-parently when I was a kid. Ancient, even. It’s also the decade of when my mom, God rest her soul, died. And now I’ve arrived — rolling…
Read more

Communicate like a CIO: Three keys

The CIO’s role has dramatically transformed over the years. Gone are the mainframe-y days where these first-ever IT shot-callers were die-hard technologists. You know the type. There’s “cool nerdy” and there’s “not-so-cool nerdy;” these were the bad kind of nerdy equipped with plastic pocket protectors, Hollerith Card paper cuts and precious little business acumen. Also…
Read more