Your inner Boo Yah

Boo yah! Cooler than the other side of the pillow. Just call him butter, ‘cuz he’s on a roll. All words, right? Just words. Well, no. Not really. For although yes they are obviously words, they also were — to me — inspiration, passion and humor. Rhetorical magic, really. They helped define a part of…
Read more

Our new normal

“Congratulations, we’d like to extend you the job offer.” That’s what the subject line stated. And with that one sentence, my life — and the lives of my family — was forever changed. For, you see, I’ve accepted a new job in a part of the country I’d never visited: Seattle. Go west, not-so-young man,…
Read more

Tell a vision

“THIS SERVICE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO THIS SUBSCRIBER.” There it was, in full high-def, and worse yet, CAPITALIZED text — just for tick-me-off emphasis. Cable television as I’d come to know it for virtually my entire life was now gone. I saw it disappear before my very eyes. Poof. And, I felt alone. Adrift….
Read more

Goosebump tech

I’ve just experienced technology in a radically new way. A way that could (and probably will) eventually change my life — and yours. And, the carnal beauty of it all is that this isn’t technology for technology’s sake. Rather, it’s technology for what technology is supposed to be: user friendly, engaging and intuitive — making…
Read more

Change (is) the subject

Sometimes change delicately wafts into our life in quiet ways like, say, a barely noticeable whisper. A soft breeze. A butterfly, even. Other times, though, it kicks in life’s front door with all the elegance and grace of Sam Kinison crashing a debutante’s ball. Welcome to my world. For, in a single, two-week period recently,…
Read more

The irreverent resolution

Lose weight? Meh. Get a different job? Not a priority. Take that vacation; learn Spanish; stop smoking? Can’t afford the Italian countryside cooking/wine tour just yet; ain’t interested, amigo; never smoked in the first place. All classic and worthy resolutions, these, but also yawn-inducing, clichéd and just not inspiring. They’re so last year and simply…
Read more

JFK’s words

So much has been written about JFK that, seemingly, nothing more need be said. Yet, as I watched the tributes to his life on the 50th anniversary of his assassination, I was struck by how eloquent a speaker he was; how powerful his rhetoric; how much what he said changed behaviors, beliefs and even the…
Read more

No question about it

Today’s blog is brought to you by the number 7, the color blue and the question. The question? That’s right: the question. Especially the question. You see, the question is the thing. For the question is often way more important than the answer. There. I’ve said it. Well, okay, so have countless others. Nonetheless, it’s…
Read more