TV that matters

The Detroit Baseball Tigers recently clinched a spot in the playoffs. The game itself was a bit of a melodramatic moment as the team was anointed World Series entrants before the season began. Although locking a playoff spot took a skosh longer than most fans wanted, the team nonetheless delivered on this lofty expectation. Truth…
Read more

This is music?

When did music become about shock value? And sex. And nothing else? In the first five minutes of MTV’s Video Music Awards, Lady Gaga came out looking somewhat like a nun — the Catholics are always a good target, aren’t they? Then, she was quickly given an onstage makeup re-do that looked like it was…
Read more

Bad PR

I recently came across a piece highlighting the “worst pitches of the week” in Deadline Detroit.  It was about PR flacks pimping their paying clients as experts to be quoted in future stories. For your convenience, I’ve labeled these rhetorical gems in various categories somewhere on the “Severe Desperation Continuum” between: 1) shameless sales pitches;…
Read more

For Immediate Release — And JOY!

Ava Rose Anter to Become Big Sister  ROYAL OAK, Mich.–July 26, 2013–Jacquie and Doug Anter today joyfully announced that the couple’s first child, daughter Ava Rose, soon will become a big sister. The new Anter baby is expected to arrive in mid-February at Providence Hospital’s Alternative Birthing Unit (ABC). An independent Gerber analyst commented on…
Read more

The high ground

It was his final breath, and I was honored to be there. To witness it. To hold his hand and kiss his face as he ascended lovingly, peacefully into heaven. I will never forget this moment. His name was George and he was my father. And, over the years, I was lucky enough to become…
Read more