50 shades of memories

Fifty. Half a hundred. Wow. Isn’t 50-years-old within the chronological blast radius of Betty White, Richie Cunningham’s dad and, oh, I don’t know — dirt itself? Fifty seemed grand-parently when I was a kid. Ancient, even. It’s also the decade of when my mom, God rest her soul, died. And now I’ve arrived — rolling…
Read more

Communicate like a CIO: Three keys

The CIO’s role has dramatically transformed over the years. Gone are the mainframe-y days where these first-ever IT shot-callers were die-hard technologists. You know the type. There’s “cool nerdy” and there’s “not-so-cool nerdy;” these were the bad kind of nerdy equipped with plastic pocket protectors, Hollerith Card paper cuts and precious little business acumen. Also…
Read more

Two political ears, one mouth

Your boss. Your spouse. The other driver. The opinion writer from the news service you typically read while quaffing your petite vanilla bean scone with too much powdered sugar. Your mother. All seemingly disconnected types of people, right? Yet they do, in fact, have something in common: they’re people you’ve disagreed with — some more…
Read more

Your inner Boo Yah

Boo yah! Cooler than the other side of the pillow. Just call him butter, ‘cuz he’s on a roll. All words, right? Just words. Well, no. Not really. For although yes they are obviously words, they also were — to me — inspiration, passion and humor. Rhetorical magic, really. They helped define a part of…
Read more

Our new normal

“Congratulations, we’d like to extend you the job offer.” That’s what the subject line stated. And with that one sentence, my life — and the lives of my family — was forever changed. For, you see, I’ve accepted a new job in a part of the country I’d never visited: Seattle. Go west, not-so-young man,…
Read more

Tell a vision

“THIS SERVICE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO THIS SUBSCRIBER.” There it was, in full high-def, and worse yet, CAPITALIZED text — just for tick-me-off emphasis. Cable television as I’d come to know it for virtually my entire life was now gone. I saw it disappear before my very eyes. Poof. And, I felt alone. Adrift….
Read more

Goosebump tech

I’ve just experienced technology in a radically new way. A way that could (and probably will) eventually change my life — and yours. And, the carnal beauty of it all is that this isn’t technology for technology’s sake. Rather, it’s technology for what technology is supposed to be: user friendly, engaging and intuitive — making…
Read more